Take Your Holidays
By David Chadwick
Over the last couple days, I’ve adjured you to take your weekly day off and your annual vacation days. These days not only allow you to be recharged, but to work more effectively.
There is a set of other days you should honor as well: your holidays.
The word holidays is derived from two words: holy and days. The word holy means “different” or “set apart.” Holidays, then, are different kinds of days. They are set apart in meaning and purpose from all the other days.
How so? American holidays have ingrained importance. They help force times of remembrance. Think about the meaning of each one:
- Christmas: We remember that God so loved the world that he put on human flesh to pursue humanity and grant forgiveness for our sins.
- Easter: We remember that Jesus was raised from the dead, thus proving that his death did indeed accomplish God’s forgiveness for our sins.
- Memorial Day: We remember those who served in the military and potentially gave their lives for our freedom.
- Fourth of July: We remember that we Americans have freedoms like no other people on the face of the earth.
- Labor Day: We remember the importance and value of hard work.
- Thanksgiving: We remember the one from whom all blessings flow – giving thanks to God for all we have.
Holidays aren’t days to work. They are days to pause and remember. They are different days, set apart, unlike all others.
Make sure you not only take each one, but take some time to remember their meanings.
When you do, they do indeed become holy days.
Transform your perspective on work!
Don’t miss your chance to get David Chadwick’s inspiring series On the Job as our thank-you for your gift to share hope with more people!
Most of us go to work merely because we have to. But when you work as for the Lord, everything changes.
In this four-part audio series, you’ll discover:
- How your identity in Christ empowers you at work
- How you can turn work into a Christ-centered mission
- How you can practically practice your faith at work
- How you can find that ever-elusive work-life balance
This offer ends on August 31, so don’t wait. Click the link to request your download today! Your support helps more people find the transformative voice of Jesus in our noisy culture. Thank you for your partnership!
For more from Moments of Hope, visit us at MomentsofHope.org.