The Best Use of Life Is Love
By Rick Warren
“Let love be your highest goal!” (1 Corinthians 14:1a NLT, second edition)
There are three truths that we need to remember to help us focus our lives and reduce overload. These are not new truths. We already know them, but we just forget them.
If you’ll practice and apply these truths, you’ll have a healthier life. You’ll have a happier family. You’ll have a more productive business. There would be far fewer divorces and separations in our culture if we would just listen to what God has said about relationships.
The first truth is this: The best use of life is love.
The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 14:1, “Let love be your highest goal!” (NLT, second edition) Make it your number one priority. Make it your primary objective. Make it your greatest ambition. Make it your life purpose. Don’t put it in your “Top 10.” Don’t say, “One of the things I want in life is loving relationships.” Make it number one!
Why does God say to make love your highest goal? There are two reasons:
1. First, God says love is what life is all about. The Bible says, “No matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love” (1 Corinthians 13:3 MSG).It is amazing to me that too often we act like loving relationships are something we have to squeeze into our schedule, that we have to find time for quality time, that we have to make time for the people in our lives. God doesn’t say that loving relationships are an important part of your life. God says loving relationships are your life. That’s what life is all about. It’s all about love.
2. Second, God says you need to focus on love because that’s all that’s going to last: “Three things will last forever — faith, hope, and love — and the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13:13 NLT, second edition).Do you want to leave a legacy after you die? Do you want to make a difference with your life? Do you want to make a positive influence on this world that outlasts you?
God has shown us how to leave a lasting legacy: Fill your life with love. He’s ready to show you how to make love your highest goal.
Talk It Over
- What priority do loving relationships have in your life? What is the evidence?
- If you were to die today, what would others say is the legacy you left behind? Would it have anything to do with the way you loved people?
- What are some practical ways you can love others well?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
It doesn't matter how much you work out or how healthy you may eat, if you're not feeding and exercising your spirit… you're going to feel run down and tired – you’ll run out of gas. You’ve got to do more than just take care of your body. You’ve got to energize your spirit! And the best way to do that is with God’s Word! That’s why we’ve put together this new interactive guide called Re-Energize Your Life!
In this first-of-its-kind guide, created from Pastor Rick’s most practical teaching, you will learn everything you need to know to re-energize your life the way God intended. Step by step, you will begin a journey of restoration and renewal. It’s a hands-on guide you take at your own pace. No need to rush! In fact, we encourage you to stop and linger where you want to spend more time. You’ll benefit from biblical wisdom and learn how to apply it to your life in practical ways.
This high quality “vegan-leather” bound, four-color interactive guide is a user-friendly, practical powerhouse! It’s eye-pleasing pages are packed with full-color devotionals, verses, and bible teachings that will dramatically impact your spiritual life forever.
We’ll send you the “Re-Energize Your Life - A Life Change Book” when you give a gift to support Daily Hope.
This is a limited time offer; request your copy today. Your generous support enables us to share the hope of Christ with people all around the world.
This devotional © 2016 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.