God’s Great Gift
By Rick Warren
“Out of sheer generosity God put us in right standing with Himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where He always wanted us to be. And He did it by means of Jesus Christ. He sacrificed Jesus on the altar of the world to clear that world of sin” (Romans 3:24–25 The Message).
The greatest gift you’ve ever been given wasn’t bought in a store. No cash exchanged hands. It wasn’t even wrapped. Yet it cost the Giver everything.
The Bible says God sent his Son to earth to give you the greatest gift ever. He came to Earth to die and make you right with God. Romans 3:24–25 says, “Out of sheer generosity God put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. God sacrificed Jesus on the altar of the world to clear that world of sin” (The Message).
So why did Jesus have to die? Let’s go back to the basics.
- Nobody’s perfect. I’ve never met a single person who has claimed to be perfect. I don’t measure up to my own expectations, much less God’s perfect standard. Neither do you. We’ve all blown it. The Bible says, “All of us have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory”(Romans 3:23 CEV).
- God is just. God wants to be fair. When somebody breaks a law, there must be a penalty for it. When you break man’s laws, you pay man’s penalty. When you break God’s laws, you pay God’s penalties. The Bible says, “The payment for sin is death” (Romans 6:23 CEV).
- Jesus paid the price for our sin. The Bible says, “God took the sinless Christ and poured into Him our sins. Then, in exchange, he poured God's goodness into us” (2 Corinthians 5:21 TLB). Jesus took on my sin and your sin and all the sin that has ever been committed. That’s the good news, the Gospel. Jesus paid the price you could never pay.
- Accept God’s free gift. God gave us a free gift of salvation when Jesus took our sin upon himself. It’s a gift we must receive. The Bible says, “Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God” (John 1:12 NIV).
Will you accept God’s free gift of salvation? It’s one thing to understand the basics of how to have a relationship with Jesus. It’s another to accept the gift.
I pray you will make that all-important decision today.
If you are ready to commit your life to Jesus Christ, then pray this prayer:
“Dear Jesus, you have promised that if I believe in you, everything I’ve ever done wrong will be forgiven, I will learn the purpose of my life, and you will accept me into your eternal home in heaven one day.
I confess my sin, and I believe that you are God, my Savior. I receive you into my life as my Lord. Today I’m turning over every part of my life to your management. You have the right to call the shots in my life.
Jesus, I want to receive the great gift of your love. Thank you that I don’t have to earn it or deserve it or work for it. I want to use the rest of my life to serve you rather than serving myself. I humbly commit my life to you and ask you to save me and accept me into your family. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”
Talk It Over
Outside of your salvation, what’s the most memorable gift you’ve ever received?
Why is it hard to accept a free, extravagant gift?
Who can you tell this week about God’s free gift of salvation?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Verses of Hope Scripture Box with Bonus Scripture Cards
Plant God’s Word in Your Heart!
Are you ready to raise your hope in God even higher? A great first step is to memorize Scripture. That’s why we created a new customizable tool to help you enjoy the process of learning God’s Word.
We want to send you our latest Verses of Hope Scripture Box to thank you for your donation today.
This gold, vegan-leather Scripture box includes a set of 40 full-color, beautifully-designed Bible verse cards on the topic hope. And we’ve just added 40 bonus Bible verse cards on the topic of prayer. You’ll also receive 64 creatively-designed blank cards with lines for you to write additional Scriptures that the Lord places on your heart. These Bible verse cards will help you . . .
- Say no to temptation
- Make wise decisions
- Be strong under stress
- Find comfort when you’re sad
- Be a bolder witness to unbelievers
We have very limited quantities of this new spiritual growth resource, so be sure to request your Verses of Hope Scripture Box (with brand-new cards and verses) today when you give a gift below.
Thanks for your generosity to share the hope of Christ!
**box is approximately 4.75” x 4.75” x 4.25”
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.