Three Realities About Heaven
By Rick Warren
We have many misconceptions about what Heaven is like. You won’t be an angel. You won’t have wings. You’re not going to be a little chubby cherub, wear a white robe, or float on clouds.
We need a right view of Heaven. The Bible says in Colossians 3:1, “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand” (NLT).
So what does the Bible say about these “realities of Heaven”?
- Heaven is where God lives and rules. The Bible calls Heaven “the dwelling place of God,” “the house of God,” and “the city of God.” It’s where God lives, but Jesus also calls Heaven “the Kingdom of God” or “the Kingdom of Heaven” 31 times in Scripture.
- Heaven is a real place. Heaven isn’t a state of mind. It isn’t a state of being. And it isn’t a place where your essence floats around like a ghost. In fact, the Bible says in Heaven there will be streets, trees, water, and homes. Many Scriptures allude to the fact that animals are there. We’ll have our physical bodies, renewed through our resurrection. Matthew 6:20 says we’re storing up treasures in Heaven. You can’t store up treasures in a place that isn’t real.
- Heaven is designed for you and me. God didn’t design Heaven for himself. He designed it for us. When God started thinking about Earth, he started thinking about Heaven. The Bible says God made the entire universe because he wanted a family to spend eternity with. Heaven is the place he’s designed for his family. We weren’t meant to live on Earth. You and I were made for Heaven!
When it comes to Heaven, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9 NIV). The realities of Heaven far exceed any of our misconceptions!
Talk It Over
How has your understanding of Heaven changed after reading this devotional?
Consider how this statement influences your thinking about God: “God didn’t design Heaven for himself. He designed it for us. When God started thinking about Earth, he started thinking about Heaven.”
What most surprised you about the three realities of Heaven from this devotional?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible by Rick Warren
Limited time offer ends April 3
Share God’s Word with a child – and give them the keys to a good life!
“Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.” -Proverbs 22:6 (NKJV)
One of the greatest ways to fulfill the Great Commission is to share Jesus and God’s Word with the children in your life.
And there’s now a great tool to help do that—Pastor Rick Warren’s brand-new book, God’s Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible.
This 223-page, full-color hardcover children’s version of God’s Word shares key Bible stories along with the 40 foundational principles of the #1 New York Times bestseller, The Purpose Driven Life. And it’s written in a way that’s easy for even the youngest readers to understand.
The God’s Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible will help the children in your life…
• Experience Bible stories coming to life with child-friendly language
• Connect deeply with Scripture through engaging illustrations
• Grow to love Jesus through lessons targeted specifically for them
• Discover God’s plans and purposes for their life
God’s Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible is available as our thanks for your gift below—but only for a limited time. This offer ends April 3.
So when you give today, be sure to request your copy of God’s Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible to bless a child in your life, or to give to a neighbor, coworker or friend.
And thank you for giving today to help more people learn, love, and live the Word through Daily Hope!
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.