A Fresh Start After Sexual Sin
By Rick Warren
God’s standards never change. Premarital sex is unacceptable. It always has been. It always will be. Living together without getting married is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be. Adultery, being unfaithful in your marriage, is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be. Pornography is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be.
But if you’ve been guilty of one of those sins, that’s not the end of your story. God gives you a chance to come clean and start over.
How do you do that?
- Repent. Repent means “to change your mind.” You say, “You were right, God. I was wrong. What I did was sin.” You don’t rationalize your sin or excuse it. The most important part is, you do this now. If you’re currently in the middle of an affair, end it today.
- Receive forgiveness. God is waiting to forgive, cleanse, and restore you. He’ll release you from the shame, regrets, hidden hurts, and pain that come from your sin so you don’t carry them into your next relationship. God wants to wipe the slate clean. The good news is, once he’s forgiven you, you can forgive yourself.
- Refocus and replace. You make a commitment to live morally pure by God’s standard from this day forward. That means having sex only with the person to whom you’re married.
- Request help daily. Commit your life to Christ (if you haven’t already). Ask him to help you manage your sex drive.
Your sexual drive can destroy you if you let it. Don’t let it. You have a choice.
Talk It Over
If there is a sexual sin from your past that you haven’t repented of, walk through the steps above so that your fresh start can begin today.
How does our culture try to convince you that truth changes?
Why is it important not to carry shame or regret into your next relationship?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Building My Life on Values That Last Guided Experience Book
$25,000 Matching Grant DOUBLES your gift!
In a world where what’s true and right seems to shift every day, it’s no wonder many people lead confused, unsatisfied lives.
That’s why Pastor Rick Warren put together a new resource called Building My Life on Values That Last. Which we want to send you to thank you for your gift below.
And for a limited time, a $25,000 Matching Grant will DOUBLE your gift to help even more people experience a joy-filled life through the hope found in Jesus!
So please give generously today – and get your copy of this vegan, leather-bound, full-color, beautifully illustrated guided study.
Building My Life on Values That Last reveals what God has to say about how you can:
• Be responsible
• Practice self-control
• Find balance
• Show respect
• Give and receive forgiveness
• Live honestly
• And love completely
We pray Building My Life on Values That Last helps you develop and apply God’s timeless values so you can experience a truly joy-filled life.
Thank you for your generosity!
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.