“The Romans Road is a sort of roadmap through various gospel truths that someone, years ago, put together by selecting key verses out of Romans,” Phil Johnson, executive director of Grace to You, said.
God’s plan for human salvation is communicated throughout the entirety of Scripture. The Romans Road to salvation is a collection of verses from the New Testament book of Romans that concisely explain God’s salvation plan. Because this collection is human assembled, not an official Biblical arrangement, some collections may include more or fewer verses than others. For the most part, the Romans Road consists of essentially four parts.
The Romans Road Bible Verses
- “As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one;” (Romans 3:10)
- “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” (Romans 3:23)
After establishing that “all have sinned,” the first half of Romans 6:23 explains the depth of this problem and its consequences.
“For the wages of sin is death…” (Romans 6:23a)
However, the second half of the verse hints at the hope sinners have for salvation through Jesus.
2. Humanity’s Hope in Christ (Romans 5:8). The second part of the Romans Road further explains the hope we have in the love of God expressed through Christ.
“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)
3. The Sinner’s Response (Romans 10:9-10 and Romans 10:13). Once we understand our need for a savior and recognize that Jesus Christ is that savior, we can respond by moving along to the third part of the Romans Road, calling out to Jesus.
“If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.” (Romans 10:9-10)
“For, ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’” (Romans 10:13)
4. The Result of Salvation (Romans 5:1-2; Romans 8:1). The fourth part of the Romans Road mentions two results (peace and justification) after a sinner decides to declare and believe in their heart that Jesus Christ is Lord. Romans 5:1-2 explains that through faith in Jesus Christ, sinners can enjoy peace with God, no longer separated from holy God by sin.
“Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.” (Romans 5:1-2)
Romans 8:1 rejoices in the result of salvation. Before faith in Christ, all who have sinned were condemned by their sin and destined for death. But now with faith in Christ, “there is no condemnation” (Romans 8:1) and believers are gifted eternal life with God (Romans 6:23).
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,” (Romans 8:1)
Photo Credit: Unsplash/JordanMcQueen