Did you know that showing gratitude has emotional, social, personality, career, and health benefits? According to a PositivePsychology.com article by Courtney E. Ackerman, MA., gratitude can help improve all these areas, as well as enhance long-term happiness. It’s no wonder God encourages us to be thankful—it’s good for us! If gratitude in general is good for us, I can only imagine how much more powerful it is to show gratitude to God. Let’s take a look at several thank God quotes from the Bible, classic Christian thinkers, and modern Christians.
20 'Thank You God' Quotes from the Bible
1. “Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.” (1 Chronicles 16:8)
2. “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.” (1 Chronicles 16:34)
3. “O our God, we thank you and praise your glorious name!” (1 Chronicles 29:13)
4. “Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.” (Psalm 7:17)
5. “The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.” (Psalm 28:7)
6. “You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!” (Psalm 30:11-12)
7. “I will thank you, Lord, among all the people. I will sing your praises among the nations. For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.” (Psalm 57:9-10)
8. “We thank you, O God! We give thanks because you are near. People everywhere tell of your wonderful deeds.” (Psalm 75:1)
9. “It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to the Most High.” (Psalm 92:1)
10. “Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.” (Psalm 105:1)
11. “Praise the Lord! Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.” (Psalm 106:1)
12. “I thank you for answering my prayer and giving me victory!” (Psalm 118:21)
13. “I give you thanks, O Lord, with all my heart; I will sing your praises before the gods.” (Psalm 138:1)
14. “Sing out your thanks to the Lord; sing praises to our God with a harp.” (Psalm 147:7)
15. “I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors, for you have given me wisdom and strength. You have told me what we asked of you and revealed to us what the king demanded.” (Daniel 2:23)
16. “I have not stopped thanking God for you.” (Ephesians 1:16)
17. “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.” (Philippians 4:6)
18. “And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.” (Colossians 3:17)
19. “Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
20. “And they said, ‘We give thanks to you, Lord God, the Almighty, the one who is and who always was, for now you have assumed your great power and have begun to reign.’” (Revelation 11:17)
10 'Thank You God' Quotes by Classic Christian Thinkers
1. “For me, prayer is an aspiration of the heart, it is a simple glance directed to heaven, it is a cry of gratitude and love in the midst of trial as well as joy; finally, it is something great, supernatural, which expands my soul and unites me to Jesus.”—Saint Therese Lisieux
2. “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.”—Saint Ambrose
3. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.”—G.K. Chesterton
4. “We ought to give thanks for all fortune: if it is good, because it is good; if bad, because it works in us patience, humility and the contempt of this world and the hope of our eternal country.”—C.S. Lewis
5. “There should be a parallel between our supplications and our thanksgivings. We ought not to leap in prayer, and limp in praise.”—Charles Spurgeon
6. “Gratitude is an offering precious in the sight of God, and it is one that the poorest of us can make and be not poorer but richer for having made it.”—A.W. Tozer
7. “The Christian who walks with the Lord and keeps constant communion with Him will see many reasons for rejoicing and thanksgiving all day long.”—Warren Wiersbe
8. “We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.”—Harry Ironside
9. “In ordinary life we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.”—Dietrich Bonhoeffer
10. “Pride slays thanksgiving, but a humble mind is the soil out of which thanks naturally grow.”—Henry Beecher
10 'Thank You God' Quotes by Modern Christians
1. “Be thankful.God has commanded it—for our good and for His glory. God’s command to be thankful is not the threatening demand of a tyrant. Rather, it is the invitation of a lifetime—the opportunity to draw near to Him at any moment of the day.”—Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth
2. “If there was ever a secret for unleashing God’s powerful peace in a situation, it’s developing a heart of true thanksgiving.”—Lysa TerKeurst
3. “Some of our most profound gratitude arises from a grit of resolve in our hearts to not allow the gravest voices to be the loudest voices in our lives.”—John Stumbo
4. “We have received too much from God to allow ourselves opportunities for unbelief. We have received too many gifts and privileges to allow a grumbling, murmuring heart to disqualify us of our destiny. In contrast, the thankful heart sees the best part of every situation. It sees problems and weaknesses as opportunities, struggles as refining tools, and sinners as saints in progress.”—Francis Frangipane
5. “God is in control, and therefore in EVERYTHING I can give thanks – not because of the situation but because of the One who directs and rules over it.”—Kay Arthur
6. “A spirit of thankfulness is one of the most distinctive marks of a Christian whose heart is attuned to the Lord. Thank God in the midst of trials and every persecution.”—Billy Graham
7. “In happy moments, praise God. In difficult moments, seek God. In quiet moments, worship God. In painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.”—Rick Warren
8. “Gratitude is a decision of the will, and if a decision of the will, the choice resides squarely with us. Deciding to be thankful is no easy task. It takes work.”—Chuck Swindoll
9. “During times of trial, instead of complaining, give thanks! Sing hymns of praise to God and watch the prison bars open for you.”—Tony Evans
10. “Don’t take things for granted today. Take them with gratitude.”—Joni Eareckson Tada
10 Prayers for Saying 'Thank You God'
I love it when a friend calls me by a nickname or a name that reveals part of my character. It shows me they know me. There is a sense of familiarity and history and I feel valued. Throughout Scripture, we see God called by several names. Each name reveals a part of God’s character and I’m so thankful He has given us those glimpses of who He is. Let’s take time to thank God by name. The names and meanings used in the following prayers come from Allyson Holland’s article, 10 Names of God and What They Mean.
1. Thank You, Elohim, for being my Creator. Thank You for creating this beautiful earth and the expanse of the universe. Thank You for creating beautiful sunrises, entertaining animals, magnificent trees, delicate flowers, powerful ocean waves, vast mountain ranges, and spectacular sunsets. Your creativity inspires me and amazes me. I love You, Elohim!
2. Thank You, Elohim Chayim, for being my Living God. I’m so glad I serve You. You’re alive and active and involved with me, Your creation. Because You live, I can face each day knowing that I don’t walk alone. I live each day with You, my Living God. I love You, Elohim Chayim!
3. Thank You, Abba, for being such a good, good Father. Thank You for loving me and caring for me in the tenderest and most heartfelt ways. Thank You for caring about the big and the little things in my life. Thank You for being a close Father and not distant or uninterested in my life. Thank You for teaching me, guiding me, forgiving me, and loving me. I love You, Abba!
4. Thank You, Jehovah-jireh, for being such an amazing Provider. I have seen time and time again how You’ve provided just the right thing at just the right time. You’re never in a hurry and You can see beyond my current situation. I know that You will continue to provide for me as I look to You for help. Thank You. I love You, Jehovah-jireh!
5. Thank You, Jehovah-shalom, for being my Peace. You know that I live in a tumultuous world where sin and evil abound. Sometimes it’s hard to feel peaceful when circumstances are so terrible. But then I remember that I can turn to You and find peace that this world can’t offer. Thank You for offering me a peace that surpasses all understanding. Thank You for offering Yourself as my Peace. I love You, Jehovah-shalom!
6. Thank You, El Elyon, for being my Sovereign God. I trust You with my life. I know that what You see is far different from what I see. You see the big picture and I see only what stands before me. I know You are good and I know You love me so I choose to trust You, follow You, and love You in the good times and in the hard times. I love You, El Elyon!
7. Thank You, El Kanna, for being my jealous God. It’s hard to imagine that You are jealous about me. Thank You for loving me enough to be jealous for my affection, for wanting me. Thank You for being jealous for my time, my resources, my thoughts, and my admiration. Oh how I love You, El Kanna!
8. Thank You, El Roi, for seeing me. So often in my life I have felt unseen, yet You see me. Thank You for seeing me when I feel invisible to others. Thank You for seeing me when I feel alone, unworthy, or unloved. To know that the God who hung the stars sees my tears and cares is more than I could ask for, yet I’m so thankful. I love You, El Roi!
9. Thank You, Jehovah Ro’i, for being my Shepherd. Thank You for leading me beside quiet waters and into good pasture. I hear Your voice and I will follow wherever You lead because I trust You. You care for me so well, even when I do dumb things. I love You, Jehovah Ro’i!
10. Thank You, Jehovah Nissi, for being my Banner. Thank You for delivering me and saving me. Thank You that Your banner over me is love and that You are love. I love You, Jehovah Nissi!
Do you want even more inspiring quotes about thankfulness? Here are 30 additional quotes to ponder on thankfulness and gratitude.
Photo Credit: Simon Maage
Passionate about helping people find joy for their journey, Josie Siler, a small-town Wisconsin girl, has big dreams. As an author and photographer, Josie shares God’s gifts of beauty, hope, and adventure with people who are overwhelmed by life’s circumstances, encouraging them to walk in the freedom and joy found in Jesus. Josie is the author of the award-winning picture book, Howie’s Broken Hee-Haw, published by End Game Press. She's also a chronic illness warrior who believes every day is a gift that should be celebrated. When she’s not writing or taking pictures, you’ll find Josie looking for adventure, curled up with a good book, or cuddling her teddy bear dog Ruby Mae (a.k.a. The Scruffy Princess). Connect with Josie at JosieSiler.com.
The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of Salem Web Network and Salem Media Group.
So when sin is not being confronted, or even viewed as sin at all, it’s time to address it with the hope of gently helping to restore believers caught in its web. Here are 10 sins that often go overlooked in Christian community.
Stock Footage & Music Courtesy of Soundstripe.com Thumbnail by Getty Images