By Marilynn Chadwick
“Mysheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” —John 10:27 NLT
No one talks more than God. But are we listening? Life moves fast, so it’s easy to blow right past God. I believe training our heart to hear God’s voice is our most important task in life. But I haven’t always felt this way. For years I was a skeptic, running from God.
I tell the story of my life-changing journey with God in Sometimes He Whispers, Sometimes He Roars: Learning to Hear the Voice of God. I’m just an ordinary woman who has learned that listening to God can open the door to amazing adventures.
But sometimes, I need to sharpen my inner hearing. A few simple steps have added power to my prayer life. I’ve learned that structure helps me stay on task. It’s also vital to have prayer partners – teammates who provide a little positive peer pressure.
Getting started is simple:
1. Gather your tools: A Bible, notebook or journal, and some 3x5 index cards (I like the wirebound version).
2. Pick out a time and place to spend time alone with God. Early morning works best for me. Perhaps you have a favorite chair in your bedroom or on your back porch – wherever you feel close to God. This time alone with God sets the tone for the rest of your day. Filling your mind with God’s Word jump-starts the prayer process.
3. Now take stock. Which issues weigh heavily on your heart? Have you considered that your worries could become the raw material for prayer? Just think what could happen if you channeled the energy of worry into prayer. Nineteenth-century preacher Charles Spurgeon said it this way, “Turn your cares into prayers.”
Something powerful happens when you get serious about seeking God. Tell the Lordyou’re desperate to hear his voice. “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart,” the Lord promises (Jeremiah 29:13 NIV).
Ponder this: “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7 NLT).
Experience the transforming power of hearing God's voice
Hearing from God through His Word brings you life-changing wisdom and confidence.
That’s why we want to thank you for your gift today by sending you a copy of Hearing the Voice of God by Pastor David Chadwick. It’ll show you:
- How to hear the voice of God through His Word
- The incredible depths of God’s love for you
- How to develop a deeper and stronger relationship with God
- Insights and inspiration for your life with Christ
God wants to communicate with you, and Hearing the Voice of God, takes you through the Gospel of John to show you how to hear God speaking powerfully and personally through His Word.
Don’t miss all you can gain from this powerful 4-month devotional book. And don’t miss your opportunity to give below to give more people a reason for hope in Jesus.
For more from Moments of Hope, visit us at MomentsofHope.org.