Six Dreadful Steps Downward
There are lessons to be learned from David that are very difficult, but so necessary. For any and all of us today ring Paul’s words across the twisted wreckage of so many lives that litter the highway of the redeemed--
1 Corinthians 10:12 “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” NKJV
Unguarded Moments Lead to Sin
David the giant killer, killed by the giant of lust, took six dreadful steps downward. He was enticed, baited, hooked and reeled in by lust. Then lust destroyed David’s life and testimony. It’s very insightful how this occurred, note his downward steps.
1. David Desensitized his conscience by incomplete obedience (2 Sam 5:13).
This is the first sign of what was going to happen. This was just carelessness, a slight wandering, just a tiny loosening in a socially acceptable area. I actually believe that the entire horrible mess of the sin of David’s unguarded moments with Bathsheba was sparked by small disobediences back in the earlier days.
2. David Relaxed his grip on personal purity (2 Sam 11:1).
David had let little things slide in his life--things went so well he forgot to be on guard. David at the height of his life lost his grip on purity and he was playing with dandelions in the presence of the ravenous lion of lust.
We need to be doing what it takes to maintain purity in our lives. Jesus told us once how serious we must be about sexual sin. Most people dismiss His words as hyperbole, overkill or something.
3. David Fixated his heart on physical desires (2 Sam 11:2).
4. David Rationalized his mind about wrong decisions (2 Sam 11:3).
5. David Plunged his life into lustful sin (2 Sam 11:4).
6. David Destroyed his testimony by the sin of a moment of stolen pleasure. Death, deceit, murder, immorality and spiritual oppression, poverty and famine of the soul are only a few offspring of this act of momentary pleasure.
To continue reading practical ways to avoid unguarded moments, click here.