Learning How to Love
~LOVE IS DECISIVE ~LOVE IS DIVINE ~LOVE IS INDESTRUCTIBLE
· FOLLOW AFTER LOVE 1 Corinthians 14:1“Pursue love, and desire spiritual [gifts,] but especially that you may prophesy.” (NKJV)
· BE SINCERE IN LOVE 2 Corinthians 8:8 “I speak not by commandment, but I am testing the sincerity of your love by the diligence of others.” (NKJV)
· ABOUND IN LOVE Philippians 1:9“And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment.” (NKJV)
· BE CONSISTENT IN LOVEPhilippians 2:2“Fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.” (NKJV)
· PUT ON LOVE Colossians 3:14“But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.” (NKJV)
· INCREASE IN LOVE 1 Thessalonians 3:12“And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we [do] to you.” (NKJV)
· PROVOKE EACH OTHER TO LOVE Hebrews 10:29“Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?” (NKJV)
· CONTINUE IN LOVE Hebrews 13:1 “Let brotherly love continue.” (NKJV)
· BE FERVENT IN LOVE 1 Peter 4:8“And above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins."” (NKJV)
In that excellent book “The Discipline of Grace” Navigator theologian Jerry BRIDGES encourages us to put I Corinthians into personal actions statements.
I WILL NOT REJOICE IN SIN BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND I KNOW OUR HOLY GOD IS OFFENDED BY SIN AND SIN WILL HURT YOU PERSONALLY.
I WILL TAKE PLEASURE IN THE TRUTH BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND WANT YOUR LIFE TO REFLECT GOD’S HOLINESS.
I WILL BEAR ALL THINGS BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND DON’T WANT TO PARADE YOUR SIN BEFORE OTHER PEOPLE.
I WILL BELIEVE ALL THINGS BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND WILL BELIEVE THE BEST ABOUT YOU, NOT JUDGING YOU WRONGLY. I WILL HAVE FAITH IN YOU.
I WILL HOPE ALL THINGS BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND KNOW THAT GOD IS SEEKING YOU AND YOU ARE MADE FOR GOD; I WILL NOT DESPAIR OF YOU BECAUSE I KNOW YOUR NEEDS AND I KNOW GOD’S GRACE.
To continue reading this message about learning how to love please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.