When Jesus Seems Distant Jesus Available Anywhere
After the Cross and Empty Tomb, Jesus was available anywhere, anytime, by anyone. So because Christ rose: any sin could be forgiven, any doubts could be overcome, any sadness could be comforted, any disappointment could be stopped, any fearfulness could be arrested, any loneliness could be ended, any defilement could be cleansed…anywhere, anytime, and by anyone.
So what does that mean? Jesus demonstrated to us by His visit to John on Patmos what He was doing with every church and for every believer. He was doing for all of us what He did for the disciples during His earthly ministry.
Often we fail to understand the magnitude of what really happened. Here is what had changed—after the Resurrection Jesus was no longer limited to one location. Jesus could be at anytime with everyone in anyplace. Think of all of Christ's power we see in the Gospels available everywhere and all the time! That was God unleashing Jesus Christ to be everywhere available!
And in the flawless record of that meeting comes seven perfect descriptions of what Jesus looks like. And from those seven descriptions we find out exactly what He is doing then and now!
Seeing the Risen Christ
If you’ll closely look at each of these seven descriptions John records, you will find the Four Gospels describe a matching ministry of Christ's while He was on earth.
Jesus is the same—yesterday, today, and forever (
What did John see? Pencil these in your mind, mark them in your Bibles, and hold tight to them in your heart—He saw Jesus and tells us of it.
Notice what John saw in
When John sees the Risen Christ, He is—
- Reminding us that He is Human. v. 13a “like a Son of Man”. So He can truly have compassion upon us. Jesus can feel my needs completely.
- Praying for us. v. 13b-14b“robe, sash, white hair”.So He can truly forgive us. Jesus prays for me constantly.
- Watching over us. v. 14c“eyes like a flame of fire”.So He can truly see us where we are. Jesus can see me always.
- Protecting us. v. 15a“feet like fine brass”.So He can truly protect us. Jesus can help me anytime.
- Comforting us. v. 15b“voice like the sound of many waters”.So He can truly encourage us. Jesus can comfort me anywhere.
- Offering Himself to us. v. 16b-17a“face like the Sun shining in its strength”.So we can truly worship Him. Jesus wants me to worship Him everywhere.
- Reaching out to us. v. 16a; 17b-18“hand upon me”.So He can truly help us. Jesus wants to touch me daily.
To continue reading this message please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.