How to Receive the Grace of God
By Rick Warren
“For the law was given through Moses, but God’s unfailing love and faithfulness came through Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17 NLT, second edition)
In yesterday’s devotional we looked at the 10 great benefits of God’s grace in our lives. As you read those benefits, you may have wondered how you can receive that grace in your life. It would be tragic to discover all God wants to do in your life through his grace yet never accept it in your life.
So how do you receive the grace of God in your life?
There isn’t a 23-part answer to the question. You don’t need to go to seminary to discover it.
The Bible gives an easy, three-word answer for how you can receive the grace of God: by trusting Christ.
The Bible says in John 1:17, “For the law was given through Moses, but God’s unfailing love and faithfulness came through Jesus Christ” (NLT, second edition).
God’s grace is entirely wrapped up in a person: Jesus. You can’t get it through religion or ritual. You can’t get it by following the rules.
You get it through Jesus.
God’s grace is free. You simply need to accept it.
But let me be very clear: God’s grace is not cheap. It cost Jesus his life. Grace is the most expensive commodity there is. Jesus died on the cross to pay for it.
Jesus’ death on the cross accomplished three things in our lives:
- It paid the penalty for sin.Someone had to pay for the penalty for our sin. If you have a relationship with Jesus, he has taken care of your penalty.
- It broke the power of sin. Jesus’ death on the cross gives us the power to change the habits, hurts, and hangups that derail our lives.
- The presence of sin will be obliterated. One day all who follow Jesus will go to Heaven, where there won’t be any sin.
The costly grace God offers will change everything about your life.
You just have to accept it!
Talk It Over
- What can you say to God today to thank him for his grace?
- If the grace of God is relatively easy to understand and its benefits so amazing, why do you think most people never accept it?
- How can you share the message of God’s grace with a friend or family member this week?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit rickwarren.org
The secret to being happy no matter what is looking at every experience and circumstance you face from God’s viewpoint. When you go through difficult times joy becomes a choice you make minute by minute. Written by Pastor Rick’s wife, Kay Warren, this Devotional book is the perfect tool to help you stay focused on God’s word and see things from His perspective. Each devotion begins with a much needed encouragement from Scripture, followed by Kay's wise words on how to live with joy. Each devotion ends with a short prayer to help bring you closer to the source of all joy—our loving God.
This devotional © 2016 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.