Three Reasons to Forgive
By Rick Warren
“Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.” Colossians 3:13 (NLT)
The Bible says there are three reasons you have to let go of your past and forgive the people who’ve hurt you. And those reasons have nothing to do with whether those people deserve it or not.
1. You have to forgive those who’ve hurt you because God has forgiven you. Colossians 3:13 says, “Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (NLT). If you want to be a forgiving person, you first need to accept the forgiveness of God through Jesus Christ. The Bible says God came to Earth in human form in Jesus in order to forgive everything that’s ever been done wrong. He paid for those wrongs so we don’t have to. That’s Good News.
2. You have to forgive those who’ve hurt you because, otherwise, resentment will control you. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:9, “Only fools get angry quickly and hold a grudge” (CEV). Resentment makes you miserable. It keeps you stuck in the past. And when you’re stuck in the past, you are controlled by the past. Every time you resent something, you let that thing control you. Some of you are allowing people who hurt you five, 10, or even 20 years ago to still hurt you today because of resentment. Don’t let that continue to happen. Your past is past. You’ve got to let it go.
3. You have to forgive those who’ve hurt you because you’re going to need more forgiveness in the future. Jesus said, “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins” (Matthew 6:14-15 NIV). Forgiveness is a two-way street. You can’t receive what you are unwilling to give.
Someone once told John Wesley, the 18th-century British theologian, “I could never forgive that person.” Wesley replied, “Then I hope you never sin.”
You don’t want to burn the bridge you need to walk across to get into heaven.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Point Little Lives to God’s Big Plans for Them!
Help the children in your life understand God’s Word and discover his incredible plans for their life with Pastor Rick’s God’s Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible.
This 223-page hardcover book includes 40 beloved Bible stories to help kids get excited about God’s love, truth, and purpose for his children. A great gift for your kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, or even the kids in your neighborhood, each Bible story includes . . .
• An introduction just for kids from Pastor Rick
• A closing thought to help kids apply what they learn
• Beautifully illustrated pages kids will love
God’s Big Plans for Me comes as our special thanks for your gift today to help reach more people around the world with the Good News of Jesus Christ. And if you’re able to make your gift monthly, we’ll also send you an exclusive Partner in Hope welcome gift!
Thank you for your generosity today. And we pray you’re empowered to introduce the little ones in your life to God’s BIG, wonderful plans for them!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.