When You’re Angry, Slow Down and T.H.I.N.K.
By Rick Warren
“Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.” James 1:19 (NIV)
You can save yourself a lot of pain and heartache if you follow one simple rule: Slow down when you’re angry or hurt.
Yet, usually we do just the opposite. We’re quick to speak, slow to listen, and swift to become angry. That’s backward! But if you do the first two parts of the verse—being slow to speak and quick to listen—the last part will be automatic. You’ll find yourself becoming angry less often and less naturally.
This is an important principle the Bible emphasizes over and over again:
- Proverbs 14:29: “Patient people have great understanding, but people with quick tempers show their foolishness” (NCV).
- Proverbs 15:28: “Good people think before they answer. Evil people have a quick reply, but it causes trouble” (GNT).
- Proverbs 15:18: “Losing your temper causes a lot of trouble, but staying calm settles arguments” (CEV).
How can you slow down and think before rushing to an angry response?
Use the acronym T.H.I.N.K. to remember these five important questions to ask before you react in anger.
- T: Is it truthful? Is what I’m about to say the truth?
- H: Is it helpful? Or will it simply harm the other person?
- I: Is it inspirational? Does it build up, or does it tear down?
- N: Is it necessary? If it’s not necessary, why do I need to say it?
- K: Is it kind? Will it encourage or discourage?
It’s not enough to only slow down when you’re angry. You also need to take the extra time to T.H.I.N.K. about what to say or do next. Try it, and you’ll see how a slow, calm response will help bring peace to a conflict.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Discover Your Purpose—and Feed Your Soul!
Get immersed in the transforming power of God’s Word with Daily Inspiration for the Purpose Driven Life: Scriptures and Reflections from the 40 Days of Purpose.
This inspirational gift book is a richly designed hardback that weaves Scripture pages with lined reflection pages to give you the perfect resource for meditating on God’s Word.
Drawing central themes and Bible verses from Pastor Rick’s timeless classic, Daily Inspiration is an ideal companion to The Purpose Driven Life—or a standalone journal for your personal devotions.
Daily Inspiration for the Purpose Driven Life is our thanks for your gift to help Daily Hope share the Gospel with people around the world.
And if you’re able to become a Partner in Hope with your first monthly gift below, we’ll also send you an exclusive Daily Hope welcome gift to say thanks!
Start every day uplifted and encouraged by God’s Word with Daily Inspiration for the Purpose Driven Life—request yours when you give below today. Thank you!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.