Praying God’s Promises
By Rick Warren
When we pray, we can claim the promises of God. Why do we do this? Because it helps us remember what God has promised. Did you know there are over 7,000 promises in the Bible? These promises provide the answer to all our needs and problems.
Prayer focuses our attention on God and helps us to see that he is bigger and more powerful than any of our concerns. And as we see God answer our prayers, our faith deepens.
Faith is the key that unlocks the door to God’s power.
Here are just a few of God’s promises:
- “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exodus 14:14 NIV).
- “He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength” (Isaiah 40:29 ESV).
- “But those who trust in the Lord for help will find their strength renewed. They will rise on wings like eagles; they will run and not get weary; they will walk and not grow weak” (Isaiah 40:31 GNT).
- “Don’t be afraid, because I am with you. Don’t be intimidated; I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will support you with my victorious right hand” (Isaiah 41:10 GW).
- “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking” (James 1:5 NLT).
- “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 ESV).
- “It is the Lord who goes before you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or abandon you. Do not fear or be dismayed” (Deuteronomy 31:8 AMP).
- “But my God shall supply your every need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19 MEV).
- “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me” (Psalm 23:4 NASB).
- “You willingly forgive, and your love is always there for those who pray to you” (Psalm 86:5 CEV).
Talk It Over
Choose one of the promises from today’s devotional, and write a prayer to God expressing your gratitude for his unfailing love and faithfulness. Talk to him about his promise, and tell him that you are trusting in him to fulfill his promise. Here’s an example:
“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking” (James 1:5 NLT).
“Father, there are so many times I forget to ask for what I truly need, and wisdom is on top of the list. I’m so grateful for this Scripture and the promise it holds. Thank you for being so generous and willing to give me the wisdom I need in my everyday circumstances. God, I want to live by the promises and principles in your Word — not by the world’s standards. Teach me to boldly ask for wisdom daily so I can navigate life according to your will and for your glory. I ask this in Jesus’ precious name. Amen.”
Today’s devotional is an excerpt from Rick Warren’s study “Experience God’s Power Through Prayer,” available here.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
40 Days of Prayer Study Kit
Get the key to breaking through your struggles!
Whether it’s your health, finances, marriage, or relationships, chances are you need God to transform some part of our life. You’re looking for a breakthrough.
And the thing about breakthroughs is that they always begin with prayer.
That’s why we’re excited to offer Pastor Rick’s brand-new study kit 40 Days of Prayer as thanks for your gift to share the hope of Christ through Daily Hope.
This 7-week video study includes the 40 Days of Prayer workbook and DVD, and it can help you…
• Learn to pray for breakthroughs
• Develop a daily habit of prayer
• Understand the secret to answered prayer
• Experience God’s blessings
Request your copy of Pastor Rick’s new 40 Days of Prayer study kit when you give below. We pray it will help you pray persistently and trust God for everything!
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.