” means protected
: head of a Benjamite family (Genesis 46:21; 1 Chronicles 7:12) Hur (hole).
- A man who is mentioned with Moses and Aaron on the occasion of the battle with Amalek at Raphidim, (Exodus 17:10) when with Aaron he stayed up the hands of Moses. ver. (Exodus 17:12) (B.C. 1491.) He is mentioned again in ch. (Exodus 24:14) as being, with Aaron, left in charge of the people by Moses during his ascent of Sinai. The Jewish tradition is that he was the husband of Miriam, and that he was identical with
- The grandfather of Bezaleel, the chief artificer of the tabernacle. (Exodus 31:2; 35:30; 38:22)
- The fourth of the five kings of Midian who were slain with Balaam after the "matter of Peor." (Numbers 31:8) (B.C. 1451.) In a later mention of them, (Joshua 13:21) they are called princes of Midian and dukes.
- Father of Rephaiah, who was ruler of half of the environs of Jerusalem, and assisted Nehemiah in the repair of the wall. (Nehemiah 3:9) (B.C. before 446.)
- The "son of Hur" --Ben-Hur --was commissariat officer for Solomon in Mount Ephraim. (1 Kings 4:8) (B.C. 995.)