The Psalms are one of the most popular books in the Bible, covering a wide range of emotions and situations. It has praises, and it has laments. It has reminders of God’s goodness, and it has sober warnings to repent of wrongdoing. Its words are useful to meditate on, pray aloud, or read as reminders while you go about your day.
Here are 50 Psalms quotes that you can apply to practically any situation you find yourself in.
Photo Credit: Jon Tyson/Unsplash
10 Psalms Quotes When You’re Worshipping God
Throughout the Psalms, the writers praise God’s holy qualities—both when things are going well and when things are going poorly. In either case, praising God reminds us of who we follow and what makes him worthy of our allegiance.
1. “I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the LORD Most High.” (Psalm 7:17)
2. “LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!” (Psalm 8:9)
3. “Sing the praises of the LORD, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done.” (Psalm 9:11)
4. “The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne. He observes everyone on earth; his eyes examine them.” (Psalm 11:4)
5. “And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times.” (Psalm 12:6)
6. “LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure.” (Psalm 16:5)
7. “You, LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.” (Psalm 18:28)
8. “Be exalted in your strength, LORD; we will sing and praise your might.” (Psalm 21:13)
9. “The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.” (Psalm 23:1)
10. “Who is he, this King of glory? The LORD Almighty— he is the King of glory.” (Psalm 24:10)
Photo Credit: ©iStock/Getty Images Plus/PIKSEL
10 Psalms Quotes When You’re Seeking Answers
Many times in the Psalms, the writers are seeking answers about a problem—guidance when the way forward is unclear, deliverance from imminent threats. In those times, calling out to God for help is vital.
1. “Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night.” (Psalm 1:1-2)
2. “Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; have mercy on me and hear my prayer.” (Psalm 4:1)
3. “Lead me, LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies—make your way straight before me.” (Psalm 5:8)
4. “I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.” (Psalm 17:6)
5. “Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths.” (Psalm 25:4)
6. “Hear my voice when I call, LORD; be merciful to me and answer me.” (Psalm 27:7)
7. “Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.” (Psalm 31:3)
8. “LORD, I wait for you; you will answer, Lord my God.” (Psalm 38:15)
9. “For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.” (Psalm 48:14)
10. “Hear my prayer, O God; listen to the words of my mouth.” (Psalm 54:2)
Photo Credit: ©iStock/Getty Images Plus/kaipong
10 Psalms Quotes When You’re Lamenting
As important as it is to worship God, telling him when we’re suffering is equally important. The writers of the Psalms understood that God was big enough to handle their pain, and that release and healing come when we give God our honest feelings.
1. “Listen to my words, LORD, consider my lament. Hear my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray.” (Psalm 5:1-2)
2. “LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me!” (Psalm 3:1)
3. “Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am faint; heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony.” (Psalm 6:2)
4. “Arise, LORD! Lift up your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless.” (Psalm 10:12)
5. “How long, LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?” (Psalm 13:1-2)
6. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?” (Psalm 22:1)
7. “See how numerous are my enemies and how fiercely they hate me! Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.” (Psalm 25:19-20)
8. “Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief. My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning; my strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak.” (Psalm 31:9-10)
9. “My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, ‘Where is your God?’ Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” (Psalm 42:10-11)
10. “My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death have fallen on me. Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me. I said, ‘Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest. I would flee far away and stay in the desert; I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm.’ Lord, confuse the wicked, confound their words, for I see violence and strife in the city.” (Psalm 55:4-9)
Photo Credit: ©GettyImages/KristiLinton
10 Psalms Quotes When You Need Comforting
As important as it is to lament, it’s equally important to remember the comfort and deliverance that God provides. Even if we haven’t been delivered from our current dilemmas, we can recenter our minds by remembering who is watching over us.
1. “For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.” (Psalm 1:6)
2. “But you, LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high.” (Psalm 3:3)
3. “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.” (Psalm 4:8)
4. “The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.” (Psalm 6:9)
5. “The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.” (Psalm 9:9)
6. “In the LORD I take refuge.” (Psalm 11:1a)
7. “You evildoers frustrate the plans of the poor, but the LORD is their refuge.” (Psalm 14:6)
8. “I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” (Psalm 16:8)
9. “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” (Psalm 18:2)
10. “Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.” (Psalm 20:7)
Photo Credit: ©iStock/Getty Images Plus/kieferpix
10 Psalms Quotes for Celebrating Victory
While God doesn’t always answer our calls for help in the way we expect, he always hears and provides some answer. He also assures us that whatever we face right now, there will come a day when all is made right. So, whether we’ve had a moment of victory right now or are still going through struggles, we can celebrate victory in the Lord.
1. “From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people.” (Psalm 3:8)
2. “I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I have been saved from my enemies.” (Psalm 18:3)
3. “They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LORD was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.” (Psalm 18:18-19)
5. “You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel! For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.” (Psalm 22:23-24)
6. “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” (Psalm 23:4-6)
7. “The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1)
8. “I will exalt you, LORD, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me.” (Psalm 30:1)
9. “You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. LORD my God, I will praise you forever.” (Psalm 30:11-12)
10. “From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth—he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do. No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength. A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save. But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine.” (Psalm 33:13-19)
Photo Credit: ©Unsplash/alabaster_co
G. Connor Salter is a writer and editor, with a Bachelor of Science in Professional Writing from Taylor University. In 2020, he won First Prize for Best Feature Story in a regional contest by the Colorado Press Association Network. He has contributed over 1,200 articles to various publications, including interviews for Christian Communicator and book reviews for The Evangelical Church Library Association. Find out more about his work here.
This article is part of our larger Inspiring Quotes resource meant to encourage and strengthen your faith. Visit our most popular quotes by well known Christians and theologians to find more inspiration. Remember, the Holy Spirit can work through us when we have faith and share it with others! Please pass along any quotes that touch your heart because you never know light you’ll shine on someone else’s dark day!
The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of Salem Web Network and Salem Media Group.
Video credits for audio, video, photos: Soundstripe, Storyblocks, LightStock, ThinkStock, GettyImages, SalemDesign
Check out these quotes for more Lewis in your life: