Feelings: Get Real
Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Living Free Every Day®
A ministry of LivingFree.org
Thoughts for Today
When we are dealing with a life-controlling problem, we may begin to think, "What's the use? I'll never overcome this. I've tried … and failed … again and again. I just don't have what it takes to get things right."
And you know what? We would be right. We probably don't have what it takes. But we know someone who does: Jesus. And the Bible promises us that we can do all things—through Christ. If we are willing to commit our lives to him, he will give us the strength we need to do what is right. He will guide us on the right path. And he will often send other people to help us.
In order to receive this strength from Christ, we first need to admit that we need help. We need to be honest with ourselves, with him, and with others. We need to take off our mask of self-sufficiency and get real.
Consider this …
Are you dealing with a problem right now that seems hopeless? Take the first step: Admit you need help. Ask God for his plan. Ask him for strength through Christ. Admit to caring people that you need help.
Lord, I've been trying everything I know to overcome this problem, but nothing seems to work. I need—and desire—your strength and guidance. Help me to be honest about my need with others you send to help me. Help me remember that I can succeed—through Christ.
In Jesus' name …
These thoughts were drawn from … Insight Group: Discover the Path to Christian Character by Jimmy Ray Lee, D.Min. With its emphasis on developing Christian character, it is a powerful group for those who want to be sure to prevent life-controlling problems from developing in their lives, as well as for those who need to overcome a current problem.
- It enhances people's understanding of themselves and others.
- It helps people bond together in meaningful relationships.
- It helps prepare people for more meaningful relationships in subsequent small groups like home groups and Sunday school classes.
- It surfaces people for help who may otherwise never seek help.
- It helps break down the segregation of people in churches, turning "those people" and "our kind of people" into just "us."
- It helps prepare people to minister to others.
- It serves as a powerful evangelistic tool by ministering to people's felt needs and then pointing them to Christ.
Note: This curriculum was written especially for small groups, and we encourage people to use it that way. However, it can also be used effectively as a personal study for individuals or couples.
PO Box 22127 ~ Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421 ~ 423-899-4770
©Living Free 2020. Living Free is a registered trademark. Living Free Every Day® devotionals may be reproduced for personal use. When reproduced to share with others, please acknowledge the source as Living Free, Chattanooga, TN, www.LivingFree.org. Must have written permission to use in any format to be sold. Permission may be requested by sending an e-mail to [email protected]