Hands-on Faith for Families
Week of May 26, 2014
Theme: Faith and Science
Invisible Things Give Evidence of God
Play: God can use things we can’t see to change things we can see. Demonstrate this concept with this experiment:
1. Fill a clear plastic bottle with one inch of warm water.
2. Add a packet of yeast to the water and swirl it.
3. Add a teaspoon of sugar and swirl it.
4. Blow up a balloon to stretch it out, and then place the deflated balloon over the neck of the bottle.
5. Let the bottle sit in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
Talk: How did the balloon fill up with air? God created tiny living organisms called yeast. As the water dissolved the yeast, it became active. When yeast ate the sugar, it released carbon dioxide, a gas. This gas inflated the balloon. Even though we couldn't see all that was taking place, God designed the yeast, sugar and water to work in this way. Colossians 1:16 states that Christ created all things, even things that are invisible. What has God done for you that you couldn’t see until later?
Pray: Thank God for creating all things, even the things we can’t see.