Worship Jesus for His Majesty
"When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, ‘Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.' "
-Revelation 1:17, emphasis added
Worship the ministry of Jesus. In Revelation 1:1-3, Jesus desires to reveal Himself to His bondservants who will pay attention. For "the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him" (2 Chronicles 16:9). He is always looking for those whose hearts will be focused on Him so that He can reveal Himself to them. The Spirit of Christ speaking through Moses said, "[If] you will seek the Lord your God, . . . you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul" (Deuteronomy 4:29). Worship Jesus for His ministry of revealing Himself to His children!
Worship the peace of Jesus. Revelation 1:4 reveals that He offers "Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come." This reveals the rest that is yours in Christ; so worship Jesus for the peace that He so freely gives!
Worship the blood of Jesus. In Revelation 1:5 we see that Jesus is "the firstborn from the dead." The blood He shed on the cross is your Source of Eternal Life. Because He sacrificed His life for you, worship Jesus for the blood He shed-give your life back to Him!
Worship the plan of Jesus. Revelation 1:7-8 and 9-20 reveal His heart when He said, "I am coming" and "I am the Alpha and Omega." He is the One who began, and is going to finish, all things. Worship Jesus for His plan to reveal His heart because He wants you to know and trust Him!
Worship the eyes of Jesus. Revelation 1:14 reveals Jesus' omniscience: "His eyes were as a flame of fire." He reveals His all-seeing omniscience as He looks into your life and sees what no one else can see. He sees the fears and deepest needs of your heart. As He sees what you don't want anyone else to see, He will remove those things if you ask Him. So worship Jesus for His eyes that search your soul to see if there is any wicked way in you!
Worship the voice of Jesus. Revelation 1:15 reveals His omnipotence. His voice can be so sweet and yet it can also be like "the sound of many waters." Jesus has the power to accomplish all things in your life as you yield to Him. So worship Jesus for His voice that reveals His almighty omnipotence!
Worship the touch of Jesus. Revelation 1:16-18 reveals His humanity: "When I saw Him I fell at His feet as dead, but He laid His right hand on me." He identifies with you and is able to meet you where you are. Worship Jesus for His gentle and loving touch!
Worship the glory of Jesus. Revelation 1:9-20 reveals His character. When John was on Patmos, he heard the sound of the Spirit raising him up and opening his mind to God and the trumpet sound. As he turned to hear the voice, he saw a man standing there. It was then that Jesus unveiled that He is the glorious Son of Man. Worship this Jesus for His glory!
Imagine what it must have been like for John to hear a voice like a trumpet and then to see these seven perfections of Jesus' divinity.
1. The Perfect Man: Jesus can identify with us, "for we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15). As the Perfect Man in His divinity, He now comes to us as "Son of Man" (eighty-four times He calls Himself this; but no one else does). He came to seek and to save the lost of Adam's fallen race-as the Son of Man, He is the Conqueror of Adam's fallen race.
2. The Perfect Priest: He is robed to the feet as the Perfect Priest. All other priests carried around sacrifices, but this Priest was Himself the Perfect Sacrifice who died for us. As Hebrews pictures Him, He is ever living to intercede for us.
3. The Perfect Judge: As the Judge, He was girded around His breast with a gold band, which was an ancient symbol of restrained emotions. He judges rightly because He is sinless, and full of love and wisdom. No one but He can make decisions perfectly!
4. The Perfect Image of God: He is white-haired as the Ancient of Days. His white hair is a sign of maturity, and absolute holiness. (In Daniel 7:9 we see this same description.) Hebrews 1:3 tells us: "Being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high."
5. The Perfect Truth: With His eyes of fire, Jesus is the Seer of All Secrets. He is a penetrating Scrutinizer that can discover and, with consuming light, reveal secrets. As Psalm 19:6 reminds us, "nothing is hidden" from the eyes of the One who is Truth, sees clearly, and will leave no sin unpunished but those hidden beneath His blood.
6. The Perfect Defender: He is a trampler of foes! Those feet of military bronze will crush His enemies-even those who cry out: "Lord, Lord!" But Scripture says "He never knew them." With His brazen feet, the Ultimate Judge will crush all foes!
7. The Perfect Communicator: With the voice of God as thunderous as the twelve million cubic feet of water crashing at Niagara's base every hour, commanding all to pay attention, the deaf and the dead can hear it-and so should we!
Jesus is the Christ. Christ is the One who fulfills all the promises of God perfectly. In everything He is perfect, complete, and our all in all. As Dennis Jernigan wrote-we who come to Him find Him to be all we need!
To find this message online, please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.