10 Principles for Interpreting the BibleWednesday, January 05, 2011
Robert Plummer's book, 40 Questions About Interpreting the Bible, is a very helpful resource for understanding how to read the Bible well.
In chapters 10-11, Plummer offers some general principles for interpreting the Bible:
- Approach the Bible in prayer.
- Read the Bible as a book that points to Jesus.
- Let Scripture interpret Scripture.
- Meditate on the Bible.
- Approach the Bible in faith and obedience.
- Take note of the biblical genre you are reading.
- Be aware of historical or cultural background issues.
- Pay attention to context.
- Read the Bible in community.
- Begin the journey of becoming a more faithful interpreter.
See my full review of Plummer's book here.