Matthew records Jesus' miraculous conception and birth.
The birth of Jesus splits time and space like a lightning bolt in a hot July sky. The stage is set for the most important event in history. It has been planned before the foundation of the world. It is promised to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and David. The prophets have heralded it, the people long for it, and the culture is ripe for it.
The Messiah is coming to establish His kingdom. More importantly, He is coming to effect a new relationship between God and man.
Jesus is not just another world leader. He is God in the flesh. God, who has previously made Himself known through a nation, and through a law, is now coming to make Himself known through a man, a God-man, Jesus.
· Continue your time with the Lord by offering your praise to the God of history through these words:
You are my praise and You are my God,
who has done these great and awesome
things for me which my eyes have seen
(based on Deuteronomy 10:21).
· As you seek to keep your life free from sin, pray this confession to the Lord.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me...
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You
· As you confess any sins that the Holy Spirit brings to your mind, submit yourself to His will:
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21).
· As you make your requests known to God, pray for
· laborers for the harvest,
· your activities for the day,
· whatever else is on your heart.
· As your closing prayer, pray this passage to the Lord:
It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning,
And Your faithfulness every night