April 21, 2014
6 Prayers to Pray the Week After Easter
"The angel said to the women, 'Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: "He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him." Now I have told you.'" Matthew 28:5-7 (NIV)
I don't think Easter is quite done with me yet.
I know what glorious things this Holy Day says to the world at large.
But what does Jesus want me to know, to think about, to wrestle through at this time of year? This season of new beginnings.
So, I'm lingering here a bit longer.
I feel like the girl who wears the same outfit to school two days in a row. Easter is done now. Time to put it back in the closet. Only for me it isn't. I want to wear it again today, tomorrow and many more tomorrows.
After all, Easter is no longer a ritual to me. It's a revelation. A time where Jesus splits my soul along the fault line of a scar deep within: I was an unwanted child to my birth dad.
But to Jesus ... I was wanted so much that He gave His life for me. It feels so personal. Even though I know God so loved the world, He gave His son, it becomes very individual if we let it.
So, in the midst of a world putting Easter away, might we let it sit with us for just a bit more?
I keep my Bible open to the place where the angel spoke to the women at the tomb. And I tangle my thoughts around His words from Matthew 28 as six prayers emerge ...
• "Do not be afraid," - God, I hand over to You those things that make me so afraid. Resurrect the parts of my faith squelched by fear.
• "I know that you are looking for Jesus," - God, when my soul is searching, help me know the answer to every longing can be found in You.
• "He has risen," - God, the fact that Jesus is risen should lift my head, my heart and my attitude. Help me to live today as if I really believe this with every part of my life.
• "just as he said," - Jesus, You keep Your promises. Help me live as though I believe that with every part of me. Help me trust You more, obey You more and resemble You more.
• "Come and see," - Jesus, You had the angels invite the women in to see for themselves that You had risen. You invite me into these personal revelations every day. Forgive me for sometimes rushing about and forgetting to come and see for myself ... You, Your Word, Your insights.
• "Then go quickly and tell his disciples," - Jesus, I don't want to be a secret keeper with my faith. I want to be a bold and gracious truth proclaimer. For You. With You. Because of You. Me, the unwanted girl whom You loved, redeemed and wanted.
In Jesus' Name, Amen.
Yes, let this miraculous Easter be personal. And prayerful. And linger a bit longer.
Dear Lord, I want to let Your Truth sink deep down into my heart and soul today. Help me stay focused on You. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
Do you feel like your life revolves around completing tasks on the "Christian checklist"? Learn how to toss the checklist and deepen your relationship with the Lord in Lysa's book,Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl. Click here to purchase your copy.
Receive encouragement from Lysa right in your e-mail inbox throughout the week! Subscribe to her blog by clicking here.
Reflect and Respond:
Find Matthew 28 in your Bible and read through that chapter in its entirety. What verse sticks out to you?
Take that verse and write it down or speak it out loud in prayer. Let God's Truth sink deep down into your heart and soul.
1 John 3:16a, "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us." (NIV)
© 2014 by Lysa TerKeurst. All rights reserved.
Proverbs 31 Ministries
630 Team Rd., Suite 100
Matthews, NC 28105