How Are You Growing?
“But grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” 2 Peter 3:18
A common question we often ask one another is this: How's it going? It is a question of polite inquiry, a question that normally evokes a "pretty good" or "fine" response. Well, let me ask you a deeper, more important question: How are you growing? You see, God commands us to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Are you doing very well with this command?
TEN 'GROWING' TEST QUESTIONS
1. Am I reading my Bible for information or transformation?(James 1:22-25)
2. Am I allowing people or circumstances to steal the joy that Jesus promised to me? (John 10:10)
3. Is there anything in my life that God is consistently convicting me of that I am trying to ignore? (Ezekiel 14:1-5)
4. Who are the people in my life that God has placed around me for the purpose of me sharing Christ with them and/or inviting them to church? (2 Corinthians 5:16-21)
5. Is there anyone I need to apologize to? (Ephesians 4:25-27)
6. Is there anyone I need to forgive? (Ephesians 4:32)
7. Is there a sin I need to confess to others and ask for help? (James 5:16)
8. Am I fully utilizing the gifts and abilities that God has blessed me with…or am I simply choosing to waste my life? (1 Peter 4:10)
9. Do I know more lines from the movies that I love than verses from the Bible that I read? (Psalms 119:11)
10. Is there anything going on in my life privately that, if it became public, would cause me and/or the body of Christ to be embarrassed? (1 John 1:9, James 5:16)
THE BIG TEST
May you and I always be serious and focused on spiritual growth ... because it really matters. Remember, there is a meeting at the end of life between you and Jesus (The Judgment Seat of Christ). You are going to have to give an account of your life, and I of mine. God wants that meeting to be one of joy and reward, not sorrow and loss.
So start today growing strong in Jesus Christ.
To read additional devotionals click here.
Jeff Schreve is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church in Texarkana, Texas. He and his wife Debbie have been married for over 20 years and are blessed with three wonderful girls. Jeff began From His Heart Ministries, a radio and television ministry, in January of 2005. This ministry is completely listener/viewer supported. It continues only through the faithful and generous gifts of people like you. Pastor Jeff takes no salary from this ministry. All gifts go to further the broadcast.