You Hold Me | Psalm 63:8
Psalm 63:8 I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.
What makes you feel secure? Where do you go for safety? What makes you smile a smile of confidence? What delivers a settled peace in your soul? Here's what some people cling to.
- Relationships. Sooner or later people will let you down.
- Intimacy. A short-term fix that leaves you emptier than before the fling.
- Job. Ever heard of "economic downturn" or "downsizing"?
- 401K. Take a ride on the roller coaster of the stock market and quarterly business reports.
- Substance. Enjoy the short high. The long low is a bummer.
- Yourself. "I am the Captain of my soul!" Really? Good luck with that.
I love today's passage because it reminds me of two important truths. First, God is the only one to cling to. He is the rock. When I hold on to him, I will never be shaken. Second, my best clinging is weak. I run out of strength and lose my grip, but his strong right hand carries me like a parent holds their child. When I cling to God, he clings to me.
Father, thank you for upholding me with your strong right hand! In Jesus' name. Amen.