November 24, 2016
Thanksgiving Day is a time to remember, reflect and give thanks for all that God has done, is doing and promises to do. Here are a few things (not an exhaustive list) that I am very thankful for.
- A wife who loves me enough to let me know when I am way off base. Lori keeps my feet planted firmly on the ground. What a privilege to enjoy life and laughter with her.
- A day with family. I love it when the kids are home, and we talk and laugh and play Killer Uno (Our table game motto: if you don't get caught, it ain't cheatin'--that motto, of course, only applies to our family games.)
- A church that loves God's Word. As crazy as it seems, I know of pastors whose congregations would run them out of town for firmly proclaiming the entire counsel of God's Word. I love it that I would get run out of town if I didn't.
- Being in one place for 25 years. My dad moved around a lot during his school years and dreamed that one of his children would go to one school from first grade through graduation. My mom and dad only moved once. I think my oldest brother was in the 7th grade, and the third child, my sister, was in the second grade. The fourth child, my sister, and I got to do the whole run in the Perry School District. I'm thankful that all four of my children have been able to do the same.
- Friends that don't have to go "deep" all the time. I spend a good part of my time studying and writing. So with friends, it's fun to relax and laugh. Thank God for those friends.
- The United States of America. I have done some traveling that has led to a deeper love and appreciation for this country. We are not perfect. But travel the world, and you will see that God has His hand of blessing on the USA.
- John 3:16--this is the crux of my thanksgiving. God loved me so much that He sent His Son for me. He loved me so much that He moved in my heart to trust in His Son. I do not face condemnation (Romans 8:1) but have in my future the gifts of eternal life. Now that's something to be thankful for!
Okay, time for you to make your own list.
Father, thank You for all Your blessings, but most of all the blessing and gift of Your Son. I pray in His name. Amen.