Roadblocks to Answered Prayers
Jesus is the final word on praying. He lived it, He taught it, He commended it. No one can more deeply influence us in the realm of prayer than our Lord Jesus.
And today, one person has more to say about Christ's praying than any other. One person, more than any other in God's Word, was an eyewitness to Christ's praying – his name is Peter. Peter was the leader of the disciples, the chief of the Apostles, and the man out front at all times. He was one of the inner circle given exclusive access to Jesus as He prayed in the Garden and earlier at the Transfiguration.
I spent this week in close touch with that inspired, eyewitness reporter who had followed Jesus for 3 ½ years. His name – Peter. His insights were priceless. Peter actually lists the final New Testament passage dealing with the last roadblock to answered prayer.
Peter- next to our Lord Jesus Christ perhaps the most well known New Testament person. In fact the gospels are full of Peter:
So how about asking this man who was at the front of every line leading to Jesus for 3 ½ years –what can you share with us about Christ's prayers and warnings we should heed to protect our prayers?
- Peter, how well do you know Jesus?
· Peter is always 1st in every Gospel list of the Apostles.
· Peter was first of the inner circle of three that went to the most strategic places with Jesus. Mark 1:16-19
· Peter always spoke “FOR THE TWELVE” he was their spokesman even after the Cross. Acts 1:9-14
· In summary: Peter is mentioned 160 times by name in the New Testament (NKJV citations). And in the Gospels we find 93 of those references (Matthew 24; Mark and Luke 19 each; and John 31). Other than Jesus, no one is called by name so often as Peter in the Four Gospels. Peter speaks more often than any of the 12, more than the other eleven combined, and has more words recorded than anyone but Jesus.
- Peter, have you seen Jesus pray?
· Peter led the search party that tried to find Christ's secret place of early morning prayers:Mark 1:35-36
· Peter was at the head of the line when Jesus was Transfigured and pulled back the veil of His flesh and let His Divinity flow out in all His Glory: Matthew 17:1
· Peter was right at Christ's heels in the Garden of Gethsemane where He prayed intensely for hours: Matthew 26:36
- Peter, what would you say that you learned about the role of prayer from Jesus?
· As the voice of the Twelve, the leader of the pack that found Christ's secret place of prayer, as the first in line at the Mount of Transfiguration, and as the one closest to Jesus as He knelt and cried out in agonizing prayer in Gethsemane – what are your observations on the role that prayer should have in your personal life? Acts 6:4 but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word.”
- And finally, at the end of your earthly life and ministry, what priority would you exhort us to have?
1 Peter 4:7 “But the end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers.”
To continue reading this message on Roadblocks to Answered Prayers please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/roadblocks-to-answered-prayers-/
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.