Learning to Pray Like Jesus Prayed
Today I would like to step back with you and look at the world we live in. Three words come to mind – danger, uncertainty, and distraction. I say that because of the incredible avalanche of dangers reflected in the current news. On any given hour, if you listen, you will hear about events of looming global conflicts, war preparations in the Middle East with 300,000 American soldiers geared up and poised to strike, threats of long range Korean missiles heading our way, threats of biological terrorism attacks here in our homeland, pro war rallies, anti war rallies, and our volatile economy and financial climate.
Here are just a few simple habits that many of us have learned to practice. These simple methods can revolutionize the prayer life of those who find extended prayer difficult:
· READING PRAYER: Don’t simply read through letters, but read and pray. After each paragraph quickly pray about what you just read.
· WATCHING PRAYER: When you watch something take place live, or on TV, immediately pray about what you are seeing. Especially do this after news programs.
· TALKING PRAYER: When you talk on the telephone, pray for the person you’re talking with. If it is a believer, you can pray together on the phone. This will likely lead you to a double ministry of prayer and encouragement!
· LISTENING PRAYER: As you hear things in a meeting, on the radio, or almost anywhere - quickly lift to God in prayer what you are hearing.
· WRITING PRAYER: As you shoot off emails – send them with a touch of God requested by prayer. When you write a letter or card (which is a great ministry in itself), pray about what you are writing and, of course, for the person you are writing to.
1. WE MUST PRAY OR WE BECOME DISOBEDIENT. We can only avoid sin, disobedience, and temptation by prayer.
· Matthew 26:41 “Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
2. WE MUST PRAY OR WE BECOME WEAK. We can only experience the power God has for us as we wait upon Him, seek the fullness of His Spirit, and yield to His work through us moment by moment.
· Mark 9:29 So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”
3. WE MUST PRAY OR WE BECOME BLIND. We can only understand and comprehend the ways of the Lord in His Word through prayer for illumination, guidance, and obedience.
· Luke 24:45 “And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.”
4. WE MUST PRAY OR WE BECOME FOOLISH. We can only have wisdom when we ask of God who loves to give His wisdom and direction.
· James 1:5 “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”
5. WE MUST PRAY OR WE BECOME SPIRITUALLY POOR.
· James 4:2 “You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.”
We have no idea how much wants to do in and through us UNTIL WE ASK!
What are you and I wasting by not asking?
To continue reading this message on prayer please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/learning-to-pray-like-jesus-prayed-/
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.