Numbers: God's Goodness
This Book speaks of the SEVERITY of GOD [He destroys the old generation in chapters 1-25] and the GOODNESS of GOD [He works with the new generation in chapters 26-36] as described in Romans 11:22: "Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in [his] goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off." (KJV).
It also warns of two sins: PRESUMPTION [I Corinthians 10:1-12] and UNBELIEF [Hebrews 3:7- 4:6]. This book illustrates that unbelief defeats the unbeliever. It is an epic on the halting progress of unwilling followers. It took them only 40 hours to get out of Egypt in Exodus, 30 days to learn of God's HOLINESS in Leviticus, but nearly 40 years to get out of the Wilderness of Egypt -- within them. They went up a mixed multitude [Exodus 12:38] who wanted a Savior [Exodus] but not a Lord [Sinai].
Numbers provides so many illustrations in the NT. There are four specific types 1 Corinthians 10:6 "Now these things were our examples [TUPOI, types], to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.." (KJV)] described in Numbers:
1. The Manna in 11:6-9 [ John 6:31-33]
2. The Smitten Rock in 20:7-11 [I Cor. 10:4].
3. The Brazen Serpent in 21:4-9 [John 3:14].
4. The Cities of Refuge in 35:6-32 [Hebrews 6:18]
Romans 15:4 "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope." (KJV)
The Promise of Salvation reflected in Numbers:
· GOD'S SUFFICIENCY: The lifted up brass serpent was all that was needed to supply a complete cure.
· THEIR HOPELESSNESS: The snakes' venom was deadly, as is sin. The burning pain reflected how desperate was their need.
· GOD'S POWER: One snake on a pole worked no matter how many bites or how bad their condition.
· THEIR PERSONAL NEED: The antidote was only good for an individual, no one could look for another.
· GOD'S PERFECT SOLUTION: One source of hope and salvation saved those of any age, of any family, anywhere in the Camp.
· GOD'S RELIABILITY: The Brazen Serpent never failed to work, no matter how often they tried it.
· GOD'S SIMPLE PLAN: It was an easy, instant look that was required. But, it had to be at the only source of help. "Look and Live"
To continue reading this message on Numbers please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/numbers-gods-goodness/