Learning to Love Difficult People
By Rick Warren
“If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone” (Romans 12:18 NIV).
One of the most important skills we can develop as we walk with Christ is to love difficult people.
Here are four methods Jesus modeled when he encountered difficult people:
- Realize you can’t please everybody.Even God can’t do that! Refuse to play games (Matthew 22:18).
- Learn to say no to unrealistic expectations.Confront them by “speaking the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15a NIV).
- Never retaliate (Matthew 5:38-39).It only lowers you to their level.
- Pray for them (Matthew 5:44).It will help both of you. Let God speak to them.
Use these methods to learn to love the difficult people in your life so that you can become more like Jesus.
Talk It Over
- How will it help if you pray for people who are difficult?
- What does it mean to speak the truth in love?
- Why do you think we often have the urge to please even the difficult people in our lives?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
The Purpose of Christmas Book
This devotional © 2016 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.