True or false: God only cares that we worship him, not how we worship him.
- Exodus 20:2-6: The second commandment forbids not only worshiping anything other than the true God, but also worshiping God in a way he has not commanded, such as making an image.
- Leviticus 10:1-3: Nadab and Abihu offered “strange fire” to God and he killed them. Why? For worshiping him in a way he had not prescribed.
- 1 Samuel 15:22: God rejected Saul’s sacrifice because God had not authorized him to offer it.
- Matthew 15:1-14: Jesus charged the Pharisees with ignoring and attacking God’s law because they added to it. He then described their actions as false, unacceptable worship.
- John 4:20-26: In his encounter with the Samaritan woman, Jesus asserted that worship must be according to God’s revelation.
- 1 Corinthians 14: Throughout the chapter, Paul regulates the expression of Holy Spirit-inspired tongues and prophecy. It’s tough to imagine a clearer example of God caring not only that he is worshiped, but how he is worshiped (see esp. 14:27-33).
For more great resources from Mark Dever and 9Marks Ministries, visit www.9marks.org