Good News About the Bad GuysWednesday, July 25, 2012
In Psalm 37 David presents a very realistic view of the eventual destiny of all evildoers:
1. They will soon wither like the grass (v. 2).
2. They will be cut off (v. 9).
3. They will disappear from the earth (v. 10).
4. They will face a day of certain judgment (v. 13).
5. They will be brought down by their own devices (v. 15).
6. Their power will be utterly broken (v. 17).
7. They will vanish like smoke (v. 20).
8. Their offspring will be cut off (v. 28).
9. They will be cut off in public (v. 34).
10. They will be destroyed (v. 37).
11. They have no good future (v. 38).
Now it is safe to say that this has not yet been completely fulfilled. As I noted yesterday, business is booming for Bad Guys Inc. The wicked often seem to do quite well in this world, and sometimes they quite literally get away with murder.
But these verses ought to give us grounds for strong hope in the long journey from earth to heaven. God has various ways of dealing with evildoers. First, he can bring them to justice in this life (think Bernie Madoff). Second, he can cut off their life suddenly (think Osama bin Laden). Third, he will someday bring them to final judgment (think of the Great White Throne of Revelation 20:11-15).
God’s horizon and ours are not the same. The wheels of God grind slowly, but they do grind, and no evildoer can escape the exacting judgment of the Almighty.
Even though we currently live in the “not yet” part of biblical history, let us remember that “not yet” does not mean “not ever.” Those who do the “deeds of darkness” will someday find everything exposed by the blazing light of God’s truth. The bad guys will be brought to justice, if not in this life, then in the life to come.
Still more to come tomorrow.