Studying the Bible is different than having a quiet time. Studying is a concentrated effort to seek the Lord’s understanding of a certain passage or to seek the Lord’s counsel on a specific question for you personally.
Here are some ways to get started:
Let’s say that you have a question about disciplining your children. You have heard so many other people’s opinions and have read some materials but you are not sure what is really right. This would be something to study in the scriptures.
- Choose a place and time…where you can be alone and not distracted
- Open with a prayer …start talking to God and asking Him to hear your heart
Pray that the Lord will open your eyes to understand His heart in the matter and ask Him to reveal to you His will to apply to your life
- Write down what you learn to help you remember
- Use a Bible that has:
1. a Concordance in the back (to look up key words) and
2. reference verses in the text of the Bible
You are ready to begin…
- Look up different words in the Concordance of the Bible concerning the topic, such as “children”; “child”; “discipline”; “chastening”
- Start searching the verses while praying that the Lord directs you and instructs you
- Remember these three “Ls” while studying
Look—to see if a passage is showing you something new
Learn—to see if a passage is trying to teach you something different
Live—to see if the passage can be applied to your situation and is…answering the question of your heart
- Use the reference verses you’ll find next to the verses you are reading for further clarification and confirmation of the message
- Next, pray that the Lord will impress upon your heart the conviction He wants you to have. Pray for clarity to apply the message personally and ask the Lord to confirm His thoughts in your heart so they become your thoughts on the matter also
Remember, searching for some things will be engraved on your heart from the day you studied until the day you go home to be with the Lord. Other things will change as you are Spirit-led with different convictions at different seasons of life. Regardless, God will be faithful to reveal His will to you if you diligently study. And He blesses those who have a desire to know, understand and please Him. One more thing…enjoy it! What a privilege we have to know the will of God and to be counseled by Him.
Article written by Bobbye Brooks and Tonilee Adamson and used by Permission of Daily Disciples.
Daily Disciples Ministries, Inc., founded by Tonilee Adamson and Bobbye Brooks, embraces a vision to reach the world for Christ by teaching others how to be His daily disciples. Their mission is to evangelize the lost and to re-awaken the saved to live lives empowered by the Word of God and His Holy Spirit, and to teach and to train those who desire to grow, to serve and to have all that God has for them…encouraging everyone to be a daily disciple of Jesus Christ. From Bible studies to daily devotionals to daily radio programs to a comprehensive discipleship program, Bobbye & Tonilee have a passion to help others apply the Word of God to their lives every day.